Monday, August 15, 2011

Lend Me Your Ear

Here I sit at work, having a cup of coffee, missing my family desperately. There is a clipboard sitting next to me with my half done autobiography on it. And only a rough draft at that. Writing this blog is actually a stall tactic if truth be told.I still have the parenting, religion, reasons to adopt, and the last section called "general" which is really the section that's about me to do. I mean the real me. My personality,strengths,weaknesses,my fears, likes,dislikes, etc.Self examination is a really strange thing. Most people don't enjoy looking inside and examining the bits and pieces that make us who we are. Isn't it easier to look at others and their shortcomings instead of ours?You can look at just about any sitcom and see people doing foolish things and looking like an idiot.Why is that funny? Because it makes us feel better about ourselves.And while I'm on the subject men, lend me your ear. There is something seriously wrong with television today and the way people perceive men. Look at all the popular sitcoms today. Family guy, Everybody loves Raymond, King of Queens,the list goes on. The men in those shows look like morons and like they are completely inept.What happen to the days of men being strong leaders in our homes?Being respected by their children instead of the kids making snide comments and walking away only to ignore what their parents say?Most kids that grow up to be disfunctional adults are that way because their dads were not present. You can live in the house and still not be present in your childrens lives. It takes more than just DNA to be a dad. Pray AND play with your family.Respect your wife and treat her as an equal. She is a child of God the same as you. Look your children in the eyes when they are talking to you. Why should they listen to you when you talk, if they feel like you're not listening to them? Respect is a two way street. Think about it.So I got off the subject...sorry. I'm down off my soap box now.The whole point was that this homestudy is tough. It's our first big hurdle.

So yes...homestudy...big hurdle...got it! But God gave me a scripture this week. A promise to claim when the frustration comes or the fear of the unknown. This adoption is a very big deal in our lives, but we serve a very big God. I was driving in the car with Caden and heard this scripture in a childrens song on one of his cd's.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart
And lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him
And He will make your paths straght.

Proverbs 3:5-6



The alarms went off in my head. God was telling us to trust Him. We have had alot of anxiety over the fund raising and the travel we'll have to do. Two trips to Ethiopia is way out of our comfort zone. Let me tell you something. God has put some amazing people in our lives. We have a group of people that are some of the most generous, loving,and selfless friends anyone could ask for. We are gathering alot of things for our garage sale fundraiser and much of it has come from our friends. I got another fundraising idea from a blog written by a woman who has adopted from Ethiopia.


We are going to sell pieces of this puzzle and whoever buys a piece can sign there name on the back. We can show our new little all the people who helped bring them home to their forever family. Praise God for His promises. His Word is truth. Watch and see the amazing things God is going to do in our home. Thank you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment